Dorking Breeders Club

Dorking Club USA

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Red Dorkings

Clayton Grace

I just placed a order with Superior Farms for 10 Red Dorkings.Not sure when they will be shipped. I am looking forward to raising,breeding and showing them. I will

be posting pictures of them when I get them and as they grow.

Thanks Grace74

January 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yellow House Farm

Cheers Grace74,

I will be very interested in hearing about your impression of doing business with Superior Farms.  I have heared mixed results.  It will be interesting to hear what you think as to their professionalism.

Cheers,

Joseph

January 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace
HI Yellow House Farm My Dorkings will be sent out the last week of March or the first week of April. I will keep you posted on how they turn out. I am hopeing for the best. Thanks Grace74
January 21, 2009 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dorkingbreedersclub
Site Owner

Grace,

I've heard through the grape vine that Superiors stock came from Gene pattersons birds and he has nice ones, please keep us up to date on how they are. Were you able to just order 10 chicks?? Did you have to get others for 25?

Jim

January 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

dorkingbreedersclub at 08:23AM on Jan 21, 2009

Grace,

I've heard through the grape vine that Superiors stock came from Gene pattersons birds and he has nice ones, please keep us up to date on how they are. Were you able to just order 10 chicks?? Did you have to get others for 25?

Jim

Hi Jim The order said you could only get 6 but I ask for 10 and they said that would be ok. I got 10 Red Dorkings , 10 White Dorkings and 5 Silver Gray Dorkings. I just want to focus on breeding the Red Dorkings. My brother lives only a few miles from me and he wants to breed the White Dorkings.Yes the order has to total 25 and I will keep you posted on how they turn out. Thanks Clayton Grace
January 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace
HI Dorkings Members I just changed my order with Superior Farm to 10 Red Dorkings & 15 Assorted Varieties to fill my order to 25.I am afraid if I wait to get the White & Silver Gray I will be waiting a long time.My Reds are now due to be sent out in mid April.And Jim can you please give me more info. on Gene Patterson and his Dorkings. Thanks Clayton Grace
February 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MTMiMi

How do you contact Superior Farm(s)?

February 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace
Hi MiMi You can go to Superior Farms at http://www.superiorfarms.net Thanks Clayton Grace
February 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ajgracelvcgrace

Clayton Grace at 10:24PM on Jan 18, 2009

I just placed a order with Superior Farms for 10 Red Dorkings.Not sure when they will be shipped. I am looking forward to raising,breeding and showing them. I will

be posting pictures of them when I get them and as they grow.

Thanks Grace74

You are the smartest man I know. I have never met anyone who knows even half as much as you do on chickens. I can't wait to see the chicken barn you build.  :)

--
February 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

Hi Dorking Members

I would like to know if any of you out there have ever order or seen Superior Farms Red Dorking stock and if so what you think of them.Superior Farms looks to have a very good breeding program there.

Thanks Clayton Grace

February 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Roger

Clayton, their stock is excellant. I have not bought from them but have seen their stock and you will be very pleased. These folks are very committed to good stock in all their endeavors but like any other business they have had issues to work through. I really believe they have excellant intentions. Their new manager is well qualified.It sounds like I am advertising for them but I know all this only because I live close to them and have known their successes and failures since they started.

--
February 20, 2009 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

Hi Roger

Thank you for the info. on Superior Farms. I am looking forward to getting my Red Dorkings from them.

Thanks Clayton Grace

February 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

Hi Dorking Club Members

I just look at the photo gallery and I like what I see.If Superior Farms Red Dorking stock come from Gene Patterson I am very happy with that.I think this is a very good Dorking site with the forum.So that Dorking breeders can communicate with each other.I also like the photo gallery to so we can post pictures of the Dorkings that we have.This club is growing and I am very happy to see that.

Thanks Clayton Grace      

February 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dorkingbreedersclub
Site Owner

Grace,

I'm still working on getting the server to allow members to post their own pics but for now, members will have to send them to me and I'll post them, very sorry for any inconvienance that this brings. Gene's birds are great and I've heard good things as well from Superior.

Jim

February 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

Hi Jim

I am just  very happy to see a photo gallery on this site.I have no problem at all in sending you the pictures.I am looking forward to sending pictures of the Red Dorkings chicks when I get them.

Thanks Clayton Grace

February 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dorkingbreedersclub
Site Owner

Please do!! I've thought long and hard as to which large fowl Dorkings to get into and I can't decide..Reds....Colored.... just not sure yet!

Jim

February 24, 2009 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

Hi Dorking Members

This is a picture of Red Dorkings out of a old book my dad gave me when Iwas a kid.

February 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yellow House Farm

Ah that's a great photo!  Thanks for sharing.  Craig Russell, a great Dorking lover, is going to have a field day!

Notice the female's color pattern.  If I am correct, it is in line with the UK Standard.  The color pattern is that which one expects from Redcap females.  It is, I believe, the British answer to "red".  In the States, we tend toward "red" meaning the pattern seen in Light Brown Leghorns. 

The pity is in the egoic myth of having to choose between the two instead of cherishing both.  My impression is that birds such as those in the photo actually exist, or at least existed, in the States.  I hope that someone is able to maintain them and cultivate their safeguard.

February 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clayton Grace

I have heard that the Red Dorking blood was very low in the early 1900's (In USA) and some of the Red Dorking breeders used Welsummers in there breeding pens.I dont know if this is true or not but the Red Dorking hens of  USA  & Welsummer hens have about the same color pattern.I have wonder if this is were the American standard Red Dorking hen of today could have come from.What do you think?

Thanks Clayton Grace

February 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chickenman

Yellow House Farm at 11:02AM on Feb 25, 2009

Ah that's a great photo!  Thanks for sharing.  Craig Russell, a great Dorking lover, is going to have a field day!

Notice the female's color pattern.  If I am correct, it is in line with the UK Standard.  The color pattern is that which one expects from Redcap females.  It is, I believe, the British answer to "red".  In the States, we tend toward "red" meaning the pattern seen in Light Brown Leghorns. 

The pity is in the egoic myth of having to choose between the two instead of cherishing both.  My impression is that birds such as those in the photo actually exist, or at least existed, in the States.  I hope that someone is able to maintain them and cultivate their safeguard.

I can appreciate and do concur with what you're saying about cherishing both types for their unique features and beauty, but feel that in the end, the standard created by the country of that breed's origin, should over-ride variations created by enthusiasts in other lands. Either that, or the birds created to meet a different standard should be given a unique name, such as what Australia did when they modified Orpingtons, (Australorps).

Cheers,

Chickenman

February 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.